Artist Statement and CV
Born in 1967 on Canada's smallest province Prince Edward Island, Lindsay Walker has been a full time Artist since 2003. He is self taught, and has been creating art as long as he can remember. His first sale was a drawing at the age of seven. He was introduced to the art of Robert Harris in the archives of The Confederation Centre of the Arts at an early age, and it left an impression on him that he would never forget. He absorbed the great care everyone was taking with the paintings, the white gloves, the awe of the work, and learned that this fellow Islander had been long gone, but his art would always remain. It turns out to be a philosophy of his to this day, to create art whose admiration can stand the test of time. Though he excelled in Art class through high school, it was abandoned for almost twelve years to a government job in health education, downtown Toronto Ontario. In 2001, he left the city life and returned to his native home. The city sounds had now been replaced by the sound of the woods, and the ocean, and the painting began. His work became a reflection of his surroundings, and simpler times.
- 2003 - Lindsay and his partner Jeanette opened their first gallery location of Walker Studios on their property next to Cavendish Beach. To great acclaim, he and his work would be featured on the The Food Network and EastLink TV that year thanks to being represented by The Dunes Gallery in Brackley, P.E.I. and his art career was launched.
- 2004 - Oil painting instructor for The P.E.I. School of the Arts.
- 2005 - Walker Studios relocated to the city of Charlottetown, P.E.I.
Commissioned by Queen Elizabeth Hospital to paint the halls and walls of the pediatric ward.
- 2006 - Commissioned by Canadian Natural Resources in Alberta to paint Canadiana themed murals, a six month project.
- 2008 - Commissioned by Flex Mussels restaurant mural and other work, Upper East Side, Manhattan, New York City.
- 2011 - Commissioned by Flex Mussels for their second location in Greenwich Village,
New York City.
- 2015 - Won first place in Art Battle 2.
After twelve years, Lindsay and his wife Jeanette decided to leave their brick and mortar gallery in the city, and have more time to create art and bring it to the world, instead of having it come to them.
Lindsay's work can be found in a myriad of public and private art collections both in Canada, and abroad. He currently lives and works near Cavendish, Prince Edward Island.